Shake things up this Valentine’s Day with one of these creative ideas that’s sure to impress your date.
4. Try axe throwing: For an adrenaline rush you’d never get at a rom-com, look to a local league to learn to throw axes (but not at each other). The Backyard Axe Throwing League in Toronto and Axe Hole in Edmonton both showcase the new sport, which usually includes a professional throwing lesson followed by round robin tournament. It’s perfect for a little good-hearted competition.
5. Get a couples’ massage: If your love is a little lazy—and there’s nothing wrong with that—trade sports for the spa, where a couples’ massage is just about as lovely as it gets. Expect a private room, side-by-side tables and, if you splurge for the V-Day offering, maybe something extra special like champagne and strawberries.
6. Travel back in time: For your history-buff or Bond-loving hubby, Mission Escape games—where you’re locked in a room with an hour to solve the mystery and get out—are all the rage and a total rush. Toronto’s Casa Loma has one set in 1920s Prohibition, plus a 1941 submarine mission and a post-war spy mission sure to get the blood moving.
7. Go on a binge: A binge watch, of course. A well-planned all-night Netflix-a-thon is a great date for the stayer-inners (and budget-keepers) among us. Send the kids to the babysitters’, order takeout for two and enjoy a bottle of bubbly from beneath a blanket. This one’s super simple and extra enjoyable every time.
8. Paint a picture: Yes, you heard that right! Many studios (or even regular restaurants) host paint dates where you and your sweetie will be walked through a fast art lesson—all while sipping and snacking. Don’t be nervous though; you needn’t be van Gogh to pass this class. And best of all, you’ll go home with adorable matching paintings to enjoy all year round.
Cuddle up with a loved one. You’ll live longer. Plus, 10 more romantic facts that will make your heart go pitter-patter.